- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter divided
- 1 1/4 cups long-grain white rice
- 18 ounces pearl onions, blanched in boiling water 1 minute, peeled
- 1 6-ounce package dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 4 1/2 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1/4 cups wild rice (about 6 1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup pecans, toasted, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the onions and sauté until brown, about 15 minutes, set aside.
In a large saucepan, bring the chicken broth and 1 tablespoon of the thyme to a boil. Add the wild rice and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the white rice; cover and simmer until all of the rice is tender and the liquid is almost absorbed, about 15 minutes longer.
Stir the dried apricots, dried cherries, raisins and the remaining 2 tablespoons of thyme into the rice mixture; cover and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir the pearl onions and the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter into rice. Mix in the pecans. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
419 calories (34% from fat)
18 grams fat (5 grams sat. fat)
65 grams carbohydrate
8 grams protein
99 mg. sodium
19 mg. cholesterol
47 mg. calcium
8 grams fiber.