- 1 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup shopped fresh parsley
- 2 medium onions, peeled ends removed, chopped
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 3 medium celery ribs, washed, ends removed chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt 1/2 cup chopped celery leaves (from inner ribs)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound firm white bread, cut into
- 1/2-inch cubes and dried overnight or in the oven (or 10 cups plain bread croutons)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups turkey or chicken broth, as needed
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, celery and celery leaves. Cook, stirring often until the onions are golden, about 8 minutes.
Scrape the vegetables and butter into a large bowl. Mix in the bread cubes, parsley, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in about 1 1/2 cups of the broth, until the stuffing is evenly moistened but not soggy.
Use as a stuffing or place in lightly buttered casserole and drizzle with 1/2 cup of the broth, cover and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
Makes about 10 cups based on 1 cup serving.
213 calories (48% from fat)
25 grams carbohydrate
5 grams protein
651 mg sodium
28 mg cholesterol
50 mg calcium
2 grams fiber